As I model 1955 t0 1963 these great looking 48 class locomotives with fletner vents on the short end are a bit too modern for this era. When researching with Peter Street as to when the vents were put on it appears that it was 1975 (feel free to correct me if this is wrong), so I felt that they needed to be removed. The following is how I removed them.
The body is removed by unscrewing the Kadee couplers and carefully easing off the body making sure not to damage any of the detail such as the brake cylinder chain beneath the cab.
Carefully remove the vent from the body, it is a press fit so it’s not that difficult. Turning the body upside down glue a piece of 015’or 020″styrene card over the hole on the inside where the vent has been removed. With that done return to the top of the body, you will see that there is a housing for the vent that needs to be removed by firstly masking the area around the housing so there isn’t any damage done to the body. Next with a very fine wet and dry paper remove the housing. For this wet and dry was glued to a coffee stirrer or lollypop stick (a dry one) and with great care remove the housing. After all that and you’re satisfied with the result fill the hole with Tamiya putty or similar and leave overnight to dry. Next with the wet and dry remove the access putty making the roof nice and smooth. Then remove the masking tape, Tamiya masking tape was used because it’s nice and thin and does not leave a feathered edge.
With painting, the entire body was masked off leaving only the short hood roof exposed. Spray self etch paint suitably thinned and left to dry. Here comes the tricky part, what paint to use to match the Indian red, I did have a bottle of Floquil boxcar red on hand so I tested and it was a very, very close match so I proceeded after thinning it down a bit to spray. Here is a site that may help with the colour. http://www.microscale.com then click on the resources panel and it should come up, thanks to Colin Hussey. The next day all was fine so they were sprayed with Testors Dullcote then weathered a bit, reassembled and put into service. The next task is to back date the buffing plate but that’s for another time. I hope this way of back dating these loco’s is of some use.